Cross sector comparisonsSophie James
The UK Regulators Network (UKRN), regulators in telecoms, water, energy and banking have partnered to compare how customers rate the biggest companies who provide services people rely on every day. The level of customer satisfaction in telecoms varies between 79% to 96%. The scorecards also capture some metrics on perceptions of value for money. Between 82% and 97% of customers in telecoms are satisfied with the value for money they receive from their supplier. Complaints across mobile, landline and broadband complaints are below 1%.
Ofcom pricing research
The Ofcom pricing trends report for broadband, phone and pay TV was also published with the following findings:
- Switching – out-of-contract broadband customers can save £8-10 per month by taking up a new deal. Take-up of superfast broadband has increased by a 20% over the last year.
- Mobile – customers in the UK pay less than those in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the US, with the cost of average mobile call, text and data use now £13 per month which is £2 lower than in 2018.
- Bundles – 80% of UK households buy more than one communications service from the same provider. Those that bundle two or more services pay less than those who buy their broadband, phone and TV services separately. In general, the more services that are bundled together, the more people save.
- Fairness – Ofcom’s Fairness for Customers programme includes a range of initiatives to help ensure customers are treated fairly and can find the best deals for them. Ofcom has published an update on action from its programme over the last year on fairer prices for broadband and mobile customers, new end of contract alerts, protecting vulnerable customers, simpler switching and clear, honest information for broadband shoppers (broadband shoppers can now get better information before they commit to a contract, including speed guarantees).
- Better information – broadband shoppers can now get clear and honest information before they commit to a contract, including speed guarantees.