Ofcom has published its interactive Communications Market Report.
Key findings – Telecoms
- Revenues contributed £32 billion to the UK economy in 2019, with retail fixed and mobile generating £13.4bn (remainder was wholesale).
- 80% of households have fixed broadband connections, 98% have a mobile phone.
- Average increase in usage of 31% for fixed data and 34% for mobile data.
- 67% of all UK broadband connections were superfast and over half of connections were FTTC and full-fibre lines by the end of 2019.
- Ultrafast connections accounted for 3% of residential broadband lines.
- Average data use for fixed broadband connections was 315GB/month and for mobile 2.9GB/month.
- Fixed originated calls, SMS and MMS declined while mobile-originated calls remained unchanged.
- The average UK household spent £77.50 per month on telecoms services in 2019 which is a 6% decrease since 2018 and equates to 3% of total average monthly household spend.
- Pay-monthly continued to be the most common type of mobile subscription at 74%.