BSG responds to overhead deployment of telecoms cables consultationbsg
BSG today submitted its response to the government’s consultation on overhead deployment of telecommunications cables. The key points from the response are:
- Permitting new overhead distribution could have a significant impact on the investment case in some locations; however, it is unlikely to be a panacea for rural deployment.
- Due to a number of factors, it is unlikely that increased aerial deployment would be beneficial in urban areas; it is likely that the benefit would predominantly be for rural deployments.
- In terms of the impact on the ‘final third’, indicative analysis suggests that up to 1m homes could be brought into the market-led first two-thirds of homes.
- Visual amenity is an issue that should be considered; however, government will need to consider the trade-off between improved communications infrastructure and the impact on the visual amenity of a locality.
- Access to existing infrastructure that can support aerial deployment should also be considered by government as part of this exercise.