BSG/techUK/INCA Seminar – Autumn Statement proposals for greater connectivitysamiragazzane
The Chancellor in his Autumn Statement heralded investment of over £1bn aimed at stimulating more fibre rollout and to realise the Government’s ambition ‘for the UK to be a world leader in 5G’ next generation mobile networks. The BSG, techUK and INCA are inviting you to join us on Thursday 12 January (9.30am-1pm at techUK) to hear from officials from the Treasury and DCMS, and to participate in a discussion on the framing and next steps on the initiative.
The funds, spread out to 2020-21 will be split between;
– £400m for the Digital Infrastructure Investment Fund (DIIF) at least matched by private finance, to invest in new fibre networks over the next 4 years, helping to boost market ambitions to deploy full-fibre access to millions more premises by 2020
– £740m from the National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF) targeted at supporting the market to roll out full-fibre connections and future 5G communications.
Ultimately the success of both of these worthwhile initiatives and the wider ambition rely on well-designed funding programme(s) as well as active collaboration between Government, industry and regulator.
More information on the funding strands are provided here.
- 09:30 -09:45 – Registration
- 09:45 – 10:00 – Welcome and introductions
- 10:00 – 10:10 – Opening remarks from Kate Joseph, Director of the Digital Economy Unit (DCMS)
- 10:10 – 10:25 – Future Communications Challenge Group Report and Recommendations
- 10:25 – 10:35 – Overview of 5G Strategy, 5G Testbeds and Full Fibre Projects
- 10:35 – 10:45 – Digital Infrastructure Investment Fund (DIIF) presentation
- 10:45 – 11:00 – Break-out sessions
- 11:00 – 11:30 – Theme 1 – Full Fibre Project
- 11:30 – 12:00 – Theme 2 – 5G Strategy
- 12:00 – 12:30 – Theme 3 – 5G Testbeds
- 12:45 – Closing remarks
The event is free to attend and will be held at techUK from 9.30am to 1pm. Registration is now closed. If you have any questions about the event, please email Sophie.Weston@techUK.org and email@example.com